Saturday, July 25, 2009

K-town, Week 3

The week I turned 19! My friends in Germany went all out.

The girls baked a cake for me in secret. A German cake! It's called RotkäppchenKuchen and comes from little red riding hood.


Yummm, we had it for breakfast in class.
We also went to Hannenfass the night before and got 2 yards of beer to celebrate. I kept wondering where everyone was before we left, because they were making my secret cake.
No, I did not drink the whole yard on my own.
Yard #2
AND we went out to eat on my birthday. All you can eat Flammkuche, French pizza!
One of our german student friends came to eat with us. We had to get through the whole menu of all you can eat flammkuche before we could get a dessert one. We were bursting.
That week we went on a field trip to the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, and to the town of Koblenz.

Train is coming! They were annoyingly loud, it's an issue in the area.
Koblenz.


The river!


More Koblenz
We met with the city planners there to talk about spatial planning.
River castle #1786.. seriously there are a billion castles along the river. You can stay in them! A lot of them are hotels now.

Roomies!
Amazing fountain.

Horse... thing. It was huge.
I loved these statues.


Friday... our last day at the University! Field study time! We got samples from 2 different streams in Ktown and then did species identification.




Boots!
The prof is showing us something... I was really into it, I guess!
Catching the bugs.
By the time we got to lab, we were very tired. Identifying the aquatic bugs was a real pain.
After class we had a goodbye bbq with our german friends! Erin's boyfriend came over from Munich to visit for the weekend.
Christine and Andrea!

That weekend was Kaiserslautern's Altstadtfest. (Old City Festival... like the one we went to in Trier)
We went clubbing after the festival on Saturday, it was a blast! Our last night in Kaiserslautern!!
Goodnight, Ktown!

0 comments: