Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 4

I don't have any pictures today. =[


The only class we had was German. I already know all the numbers! I can understand cashiers when they tell me prices! It's so exciting. I hate the masc/fem nouns in German though because you have to memorize the form of the definite noun as well. Bah. But German is surprisingly similar to English.

After that we met this man from the Atlantic Academy, which informs the people of Kaiserslautern about the US and also helps out Americans on the military base with their questions. He bought us lunch at an Italian restaurant. The strangest thing is how enthusiastic he was about America, and straight up asked us who we voted for in the election (which was really awkward because you know how thats kind of taboo). They really like Obama here.

After that, he took us to a museum where we learned about the German emigration from the Palatinate to the US. When I asked the tour guide about my last name, he knew right off the top of his head what city the largest amount of Knechts came from. He said it's in this region, but I can't remember the city name. He said there were around 10,000 Knechts. Crazy.

After that I did a bit of window shopping. I got some souvenirs and some French chocolate at a cute teahouse.

Then I went with 2 of the guys and sat in a park under a tree for a bit, and then came back to the University for dinner.

Tomorrow we are going on a field trip to a waste water treatment plant. I visited one in the US with Ms. Hargrove, so it will be really interesting to compare them.

1 comments:

TaRAWR said...

whoaa 10,000 knechts! that would be weird to meet a lot of them in the same city