Monday, June 22, 2009

Days 5 & 6. Field trip and Journey to Munich.


Thursday, we went on a field trip to a wastewater treatment plant. The tour guide didn't speak English so it took forever. He would give his explanation of everything in German, and then our professor would repeat the whole thing in English.

Waste digester that creates methane gas


Settlement tank with clean water!

After the tour, the manager of the plant bought us a really delicious lunch. Then we visited a neighborhood and learned about the above ground water management. It was a really pretty neighborhood. That house has solar panels on the roof!


Then the professor bought us milkshakes at a cafe and showed us more urban drainage planning in a movie theatre parking lot. It felt really random.

On Friday we just had lectures about water management. For lunch I had something very interesting, pictured below. There's a huge bowl of mushroom potato soup. And then there's a large German sweet roll that you dip in vanilla sauce. It was really good and tasted like dessert for lunch. I want to learn to bake that sweet roll.

After class, the 3 other girls in the program and I travelled to Munich by train. It took about 4 hours and we spent the whole time doing homework.

Airin and Erin
Christine and I on the train.
Once we got to Munich, Erin's boyfriend met us at the station. He is studying nano-engineering in Munich through the same program that hosts mine. We dropped our stuff off at the hostel and then went out to Marienplatz, the central district of Munich. We ended up in the Hard Rock Cafe, because most places were already closed. After that, Airin, Christine and I went to a dance club for a while and then went back to the hostel.



0 comments: